Value Chain Cereals and Oilseeds Study 5.2.2013
This report is the summary of the study request by CESVI to Perene Consulting . The study aimed to analyze the market value of cereals and oilseeds in Nhamatanda district in Sofala , with special emphasis on maize , sesame and peanuts , prepared during the period November 2012 to January 2013. The consultancy involved several structured and semi-structured interviews with the different actors of the value chain, from the provision of inputs to the last player marketing .
The main objective of this study was to identify the potential for development of values chain ( CV ) and support the development of local strategies for the cultivation , processing and marketing of grains and oilseeds in the district of Nhamatanda .
Were identified and analyzed :
- The value chains of cereals and oil seeds ( maize, sesame and groundnuts ) and its stakeholders with greater development potential , in order to improve the living conditions of small-scale producers and members of producer associations .
- The constraints and obstacles that inhibit the development of existing value chains potential proposals .
- The strategic mechanisms that contribute to the fortification and institutional organization of actors in value chains.
- The opportunities for intervention project ( second phase ) and proposals for concrete actions .
The report is structured as follows :
- General analysis of agriculture in Mozambique.
- Value Chain Analysis ( CV ) of corn , sesame and peanuts.
- Analysis of support services .
- Constraints affecting the different value chains studied.
- Recommendations for the second phase of the program CESVI